Sunday, August 24, 2008

And so it starts...

Finally woke up this morning, with the aid of three successive alarms set at 15 min intervals, at 6.30am and set out for my first run.

The first few steps seemed wierd, generally alien and overall quite horrible, and I would've given up right there with a declaration that running 'was not my thing', if only I'd not spent the last several days reading up on running and promising myself that I'd at least make a decent effort before I quit. And I'd definitely have quit had I not purchased a pair of brand new running shoes yesterday for Rs. 3700.

The short incline to the Sainikpuri temple at the very start of the run was the worst part, but after that it was sort of bearable. Reached the halfway point and the entire return route was a gentle decline which made it relatively easier.

Have the expected soreness and tightness in my leg muscles but unexpectedly, also felt a muscle pull in my left bicep after I finished, which lasted several minutes, and so my arm feels a bit sore as well. Damn...I'm probably more unfit than I realize!

Immediate goal is to complete the same run on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday and we'll take it from there.

Oh, and no more sweets, fried food and junk food from today. Which may be difficult because the office cafeteria is shut for the next 3 days, but still, I'll persevere!

For the record, completed 3.4 km in 25:16:45 minutes.

1 comment:

katyakarthik said...

Congrats on ur start!!!
For a change, its not Monday and it's not a gym and it actually HAPPENED! :)
Now i only pray you won't fall back into your laziness, and your sleepy mind won't convince you to forget about it all early in the morning :)